Sunday 20 October 1996
2 "Barbra Streisand, singer - file and forget," said the New Yorker of an early cabaret performance. Variety told her to get a "schnoz bob", a suggestion which enraged the 19-year-old's manager: "You can say nose job or have the nose fixed, but where do you come off saying 'schnoz bob'? It's vulgar and tasteless." Anne Edwards' slightly over-earnest Streisand: It Only Happens Once (Weidenfeld pounds 20) collects some similarly great quotes. Predatory hairdresser Jon Peters introduced himself with the frank appraisal: "You're a cute little thing with a very foxy body and a great ass" (reader, she married him). Others weren't smitten. After co-starring in Hello, Dolly! Walter Matthau said: "I'd like to work with her again in something appropriate. Perhaps Macbeth." The pics show a glorious succession of bad hair days.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
Kevin Spacey's successor at The Old Vic promises a more low-key approach
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate