Sunday 20 October 1996
2 "Barbra Streisand, singer - file and forget," said the New Yorker of an early cabaret performance. Variety told her to get a "schnoz bob", a suggestion which enraged the 19-year-old's manager: "You can say nose job or have the nose fixed, but where do you come off saying 'schnoz bob'? It's vulgar and tasteless." Anne Edwards' slightly over-earnest Streisand: It Only Happens Once (Weidenfeld pounds 20) collects some similarly great quotes. Predatory hairdresser Jon Peters introduced himself with the frank appraisal: "You're a cute little thing with a very foxy body and a great ass" (reader, she married him). Others weren't smitten. After co-starring in Hello, Dolly! Walter Matthau said: "I'd like to work with her again in something appropriate. Perhaps Macbeth." The pics show a glorious succession of bad hair days.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland