six of the best buys this weekend
SIX GOOD VIDEOS
Saturday 02 December 1995
2. Safe Passage (15; Entertainment; Rental). Winning ensemble playing from Susan Sarandon and the young actors who play the sons gathered about her for a family crisis.
3. Batman Forever (15; Warner; pounds 14.99). Jim Carrey and Val Kilmer are spot-on as super-villain and super-hero. A hoot.
4. Witchfinder General (18; Redemption; pounds 12.99). They don't make 'em like this brutal Vincent Price chiller anymore.
5. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG; Touchstone; pounds 14.99). Imaginative scary-tale to darken your festivities.
6. Exotica (18; Artificial Eye; rental). The lives of a few lonely Canadian souls intertwine in Atom Egoyan's dark thriller.
Bruce Springsteen: 'The Ghost of Tom Joad' (Columbia) Bleak, intense, quiet. Like Nebraska, in fact, but with better songs.
John Coltrane: 'The Heavyweight Champion - Complete Atlantic Recordings' (Rhino/Atlantic) Still the best box-set buy for Christmas. Why? Because this was the best the 20th-century had to offer.
Willie Nelson: 'Just One Love' (Verve) Grizzled groaner in country mode. Sprightly, warm, gentle.
Darkman: 'Worldwide' (Wild Card/Polydor) Brit rapper eschewing American themes in favour of cool naturalism.
Various Artists: 'Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack' (Arista) Whitney in brill album shock. Includes Aretha, Chaka, Mary J, TLC et al, sympathetically handled by bouncing genius Babyface.
Smith & Mighty: 'Bass is Maternal' (Rockers) At last. Thumping dub/jungle rhythms from the lost elders of ye Bristol scene.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 2 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
After Sam Smith’s Mobo success, is the help of a pushy parent the surest route to stardom?
Pottermore: JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story featuring 'greying' 33-year-old wizard
JK Rowling to publish new Harry Potter story online for Halloween
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts