six of the best buys this weekend
Saturday 30 September 1995
1. John Coltrane: The Heavyweight Champion (Atlantic) Seven CDs in a box, documenting the great tenor saxophonist's heady experiments after leaving the Miles Davis quintet.
2. Blur: The Great Escape (Food/Parlophone) Modern life continues to be rubbish, as Colchester's top band demonstrate.
3. Eusebe: Tales from Mama's Yard (EMI) Eusebe take rap and make it parochial, British and real.
4. David Bowie: 1. Outside (RCA) A concept to conjure with - a Bowie album you can actually listen to.
5. Joshua Redman: Spirit of the Moment (Warner Bros) Splendid, double, live CD from this spirited tenor sax contender.
6. The Flaming Lips: Clouds Taste Metallic (Warner Bros) Continuing their voyage to the outer reaches of mutant pop.
1. Verdi: Rigoletto (Sony) Renato Bruson, Roberto Alagna, Andrea Rost/ Orchestra of La Scala Milan cond. Riccardo Muti. Powerfully gripping.
2. Strauss: Don Quixote & Lalo Cello Concerto. (EMI) Jacqueline du Pre cond. Boult and Barenboim. A miraculous performance of the Lalo.
3. Berlioz: L'Enfance du Christ (Hyperion) cond Matthew Best. A choral masterpiece well served.
4. Dvorak: Slavonic Dances Op 46 & 72 (Supraphon) Karel Sejna and the Czech Philharmonic. A prize-winner in 1959 and still fresh and energetic.
5.The Lily and the Lamb (Harmonia Mundi) Anonymous 4. Gorgeously inauthentic womens' voices in chart-topping early monody.
6.Michelangeli: The Vatican Recordings (Memoria) A four-CD set with peerless performances including Beethoven's Emperor Concerto.
SIX GOOD CLASSICAL CDS
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture