Saturday 26 August 1995
Collected Poems Volume 1 by Peter Reading (Bloodaxe, pounds 9.95). Reading's vision is dark and uncompromising, but his technical brilliance is unmatched.
Aurel Stein: Pioneer of the Silk Road by Annabel Walker (John Murray, pounds 25). Delightful biography of a fearless 19th century adventurer.
Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy (Cape, pounds 20). Well-argued study of how a combination of better technology and superior leadership secured victory in the Second World War.
King David by Alan Massie (Cape, pounds 15.99). One of the best Old Testament stories excitingly retold.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
X Factor winners: Where are they now?
Dancing on Ice 2014 line-up revealed
Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury in Dexter Fletcher film
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat: Peter Capaldi is worlds away from Malcolm Tucker
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >