Monday 12 April 1999
South opened 1NT (15-17 points) and showed his spades in response to a Stayman enquiry of Two Clubs. North raised to Three Spades, and, although only in the middle of his range, possession of good trumps and controls made it easy for South to go on to game.
West led 46 against Four Spades and it was clear that there were a number of good chances - the diamond finesse might be right or the missing clubs might break 3-3. If, however, neither possibility worked, South might need to ruff two clubs in dummy after throwing one on the third diamond. To accomplish this, he would need quick entries later on to his hand.
At trick two declarer led !7 and ran it to East's jack. A trump came back and South won. Dummy was entered with 2K, and #Q was run, losing to West's king. With no trumps left, West returned a diamond. Declarer threw a club from dummy on a high diamond and ruffed a club. It would not have helped East to over-ruff so he discarded a diamond.
As a result of his careful play at trick two, South was able to play !A and get to hand with a heart ruff without allowing East into the lead to draw dummy's last trump. Now another club ruff on the table ensured 10 tricks, whether East over-ruffed or not.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories