Sunday 29 December 1996
A heart lead would have ended South's chances but, not unnaturally, West led the queen of clubs. After winning on the table, declarer led and ran the queen of trumps. Thinking quickly, West decided that the only real chance was to pin the lead in dummy and, without hesitation, he allowed the queen to win. Perhaps dreaming of an overtrick, declarer repeated the trump finesse. West took his king and switched to a heart. Now there was no way back to hand to draw the last trump and South was reduced to the losing heart finesse to go one down.
Rather than finesse again in trumps, South should have gone up with the ace on the second round. As the cards lie there is an unexpected bonus but it does not matter if East can later win with the king. Either he gives South an entry to hand to draw the last trump, or the need for a heart finesse is obviated.
GAME ALL: Dealer North
] Q 9
_ A Q J 10 9
+ A K Q 7 5
] K 2 ] 7 4 3
_ 8 6 4 2 _ K 5
+ 4 3 + J 8 6
[ Q J 10 9 3 [ 8 6 5 4 2
] A J 10 8 6 5
_ 7 3
+ 10 9 2
[ K 7
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate