Sunday 20 October 1996
As South, I must confess, I opened One Spade, North forced to game with Three Clubs, and I showed my powerful heart suit. It was very tempting to pass North's preference to Three Spades but, as his hand was completely unlimited, I dutifully toiled on with Four Spades.
North could not take a joke, however, and persisted with Blackwood. Again I was tempted to back-pedal by denying an ace, but I was honest and we ended in a gruesome Six Spades. Serves me right, but matters improved after a trump lead.
I won East's queen with the ace and followed with the ace and another diamond. West won and led a second trump to dummy's king. Next came the ace of clubs and a club ruff, the losing diamond was ruffed on the table, and I trumped another club.
This had a dual effect: I got to hand to draw the last trump, and it left East in sole control of the clubs. Now the jack of spades finished the poor fellow who was left with the choice of unguarding hearts or discarding his winning club.
"Well played!" said my partner, but he forebore from commenting on my bidding...
EAST-WEST GAME: Dealer South
] K 7 4
_ A Q 6
+ A 5
[ A 5 4 3 2
] 10 9 2 ] Q 5
_ 10 4 _ J 9 8 3
+ K J 9 8 2 + Q 10 7
[ Q 9 8 [ K J 10 6
] A J 8 6 3
_ K 7 5 2
+ 6 4 3
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories