Bridge: Neat solution to British weather
Thursday 21 October 1993
East-West game: dealer East
A 10 2
K J 10 7 5 3
10 6 2
K Q 6
Q J 5 3
Q 8 4
A Q J 9 8 5
10 9 7 6 2
J 9 8 7 5 4
A 9 2
East opened Two Spades (weak) and West raised preemptively to Three Spades. North bid Four Clubs, South tried Four Hearts and all passed.
West led the two of spades to his partner's ace and, although East considered a club switch, he returned a spade to South's king. As you can see, declarer can make 11 tricks if he gets both the trumps and the clubs right, but in practice he played the ace and another trump to lose two tricks in the suit. When he subsequently played for the drop in clubs, he ended one off.
Now, what was the best way of playing the hand to eliminate guesswork? There is a neat solution. After winning with the king of spades, declarer should cash the ace and king of diamonds and lead a low trump from dummy. If East can win this trick, he is end-played - forced to lead a trump or a club, or concede a ruff and discard. If, as the cards lie, West wins and exits with a low trump, declarer finesses. If the finesse wins, a good view in clubs will land an overtrick,while if East is able to win he is end-played as before.
Marbella Bridge Congress, 8 - 12 December. Details from Desmond Deery, tel 010 34 52 820669.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict