Bringing animation to life
Friday 24 March 1995
And we Brits, of course, do it pretty well nowadays - Nick Park won an Oscar for the sublime Creature Comforts, and now three more Channel 4- sponsored artists have nominations for this year's Best Animated Short Film gong.
Bob's Birthday (9.45pm C4) is grown-up suburban surrealism. Dentist Bob is having a mid-life crisis while his wife is preparing a surprise party. Cartoon people with noses like pancakes and a very witty script. Lovely.
The Big Story (5.30pm) is a very short, one-joke film done in monochrome with 3-D models; showing with it is Triangle, much more self-consciously "arty". A nude man and woman are dancing, coyly rendered in smudged pencil, until a Triangle intervenes. The Triangle's a Shamaness, right? So things go all abstract and airbrushed and not very compelling. Charlie Hart's music, though, is great stuff. Non-verbal animation really needs music, like dance does. Like Prime Minister's Questions does - deafening Wagner should do the trick.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments