CALSSICAL: NEW RELEASES
Saturday 04 December 1999
Richard Strauss's witty incidental music to Moliere's comedy is more familiar as a suite than, as here, in its entirety. But what will either attract or dissuade Strauss fans is how they take to Sir Peter Ustinov's new text and narration. - While he never strays too far from the spirit of the piece, and his contribution is often amusing, there can be only a limited number of times it can be enjoyed without it getting in the way of the music. HHH
Alessandro Scarlatti: Stabat Mater Il Seminario Musicale, Lesne (Virgin Veritas)
Alessandro, father of Domenico, is the lesser-known of the two Scarlattis, but his vocal music shows him to be a master of the form. While his setting of the Stabat Mater cannot rival Pergolesi's, it is a captivating work in its own right. Gerard Lesne leads his specialist team in a superb performance that relies on both his own alto voice and his soprano Sandrine Piau. HHHH
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world