Cheltenham Festival: hapter & Verse
Friday 16 October 1998
ON TO Ziegler and Mark Amory's talk about Osbert Sitwell and Lord Berners. Ziegler's description of the Sitwells as being "the Spice Girls of the Twenties" put them in a whole new light. But confusion reigned as Amory described Berners taking tea with Penelope Betjeman and her Arab in his sitting room. Her Arab? Was this perhaps some swarthy manservant? But no, Amory reassured us, it was merely her horse. As well as his tendency to dye pigeons in pinks and blues, Berners was renowned for his ugliness. A bald man, he once described himself as looking like a "diabolical egg". And when Rex Whistler had painted his portrait, he said of it "Alas, only too like him so it cannot give much pleasure".
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up