Monday 20 May 1996
The first thing to notice is Black's idea of stalemate with ...h5. After, for example, 1.Kc7 c5 2.bxc5 h5, White cannot avoid a draw. So what about 1.Kc7 c5 2.b5? That's no good because the black pawn queens with check giving a comfortable draw. 1.Kb7 c5 2.b5 also fails, because the king gets in the way of the b-pawn. The first move must therefore be 1.Ka7 or 1.Ka8.
Let's try the obvious one: 1.Ka7 Kh5! (1...c5 2.b5 or 1...h5 2.Ka6 c5 3.b5 win for White) 2.Ka6 Kh4 3.Ka5 Kh5 4.Ka4 Kh4 5.Kb3! (not 5.Ka3 c5! and the pawn queens with check) and now 5...Kh5 6.Kc2 Kh4 7.Kd3 wins comfortably for White. But Black plays 5...c5! 6.b5 c4+ 7.Kc3 h5 8.Kd4 c3 with a draw.
Now look at the solution:
1.Ka8!! Kh5 2.Ka7 Kh4 3.Ka6 Kh5 4.Ka5 Kh4 5.Ka4 Kh5 6.Kb3! winning after either 6...Kh4 7.Kc2 h5 8.Kd3 c5 9.Kxe3 c4 10.Kd2 c3+ 11.Kc1 c2 12.e4! or 6...c5 7.b5 c4+ 8.Kc3 Kh4 9.b6 h5 10.Kd4! when White mates after both pawns queen.
1.Ka8!! loses a move in order to gain one. Very neat.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >