Classic Cartoons: Martin Plimmer on Philip Zec
Saturday 24 October 1998
Ostensibly it drew attention to the fact that the Government's authorisation of one penny rise in the price of petrol was an inadequate response to public wastefulness when thousands of tanker seamen were losing their lives to U-boats.
Churchill, who saw The Mirror as unpatriotic and "malignant" for criticising him for keeping on Chamberlain's elderly and appeasement-prone cabinet, interpreted Zec's cartoon as an accusation of fat- tening the petrol combines at the expense of British lives ("Worthy of Goebbels at his best," said the then Home Secretary, Herbert Morrison).
The Mirror survived, however. Zec, a socialist cockney Jew, became a director of the newspaper, and later editor of the Sunday Pictorial.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 5 Medina: Saudis take a bulldozer to Islam's history
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >