Classical and Opera: EYE SIGHT ...probably the world's first ecological opera
Saturday 19 October 1996
The ENO's Vixen is a handsome restaging of David Pountney's original production for Welsh National Opera. Maria Bjornson's undulating split- level set is a design classic in itself, with taut movement and evocative lighting adding to the richly kaleidoscopic effect. In the title role, Lesley Garrett combines fine voice, agility, stage presence and charisma as if the part had been created for her.
The Cunning Little Vixen is deservedly a real crowdpuller, which probably cannot be said for any other opera written after World War I, except perhaps Turandot. And Puccini was not even working with children and animals.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol
- < Previous
- Next >