Classical Music Awards: Newcomer of the Year - Bryn Terfel: Artists strike triumphant note on big awards night
Brought up on a farm in Wales, and a graduate of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Terfel, who is 26, won the Kathleen Ferrier Memorial Scholarship in 1988 and the lieder prize in th Cardiff Singer of the World competition the following year as runner-up to Dmitri Hvorostovsky. His operatic debut took place with Welsh National Opera in 1990, and the subsequent rise of this resplendent and warm bass- baritone has already taken him to international opera houses, the Salzburg Festival, and the recording studios among high-powered casts. No doubt this is the last time he can be called a newcomer - a highly popular award.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Tears and cheers as David Beckham ends glittering career after helping PSG to final win
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.