CLASSICAL MUSIC: DIARY
Monday 07 February 2005
V Who is Armenia's greatest composer? Not Khachaturian, despite the Soviets' relentless promotion of Spartacus. Few outside Armenia may have heard of Solomon Solomonian, but his fate encapsulates that of his country, and his compositions have a uniquely compelling force. In 1915, with 700 other Armenian intellectuals, he was seized and tortured by the Turks; he escaped, but went mad, and he died in a Paris asylum. He's the subject of a suitably left-field film at the London Armenian Film Festival, which opens on Friday at the Institut Francais.
V The Takacs Quartet's recordings of Beethoven's string quartets are being justly acclaimed, but readers of the liner notes may wonder why none of the players is called Takacs. The ghost is Gabor Takacs-Nagy, who co-founded the quartet, but left and now leads his equally acclaimed Takacs Piano Trio. But it's a shame Decca should be so economical with the truth.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’