Opera of the week: The Perfect American, London Coliseum, London WC2
Friday 31 May 2013
Based on Peter Stephan Jungk's fictionalised account of Walt Disney's dying days, the latest of Philip Glass's operas offers a mythic portrait of the megalomaniac behind Main Street USA's most beloved cartoon characters.
Yet, thanks to copyright control, the creative team behind the opera's UK premiere – starring former Harvey and the Wallbangers baritone Christopher Purves – have had to find their own ways of animating Walt's world without using any actual Disney imagery.
Given director Phelim McDermott's spectacular puppet-enhanced staging of Glass's Gandhi portrait, Satyagraha, Mickey's loss might well be our gain.
020 7845 9300; eno.org, tonight & Thursday; in rep to 28 June
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Cilla, ITV, review: Sheridan Smith embodies the young singer perfectly
Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly