Purcell Aria is nation's favourite
Monday 14 June 2010
England today triumphed over greats from Germany, Italy and the rest of the world - in a search for the nation's favourite aria.
Composer Henry Purcell's When I Am Laid In Earth beat much-loved pieces from the likes of Mozart, Wagner and Puccini in the poll for BBC Radio 3.
Nessun Dorma, the popular Puccini composition often associated with the World Cup after being used as the BBC theme for Italia '90, failed to make the top 10.
Purcell's winning work is taken from Dido And Aeneas, his only fully-sung stage work and one of the earliest English operas.
The aria features at the end of the opera as Dido, Queen of Carthage, flings herself on a funeral pyre after being abandoned by Trojan Prince Aeneas.
This is the first time that Radio 3 has conducted a search on this scale.
Radio 3 launched the survey on Rob Cowan's breakfast programme last month. with listeners voting online.
Presenter Cowan said: "I'm not in the least surprised. As operatic arias go, this has to be among the greatest of all - a grief-laden outpouring that's up there with the best of Puccini or Wagner. And what a melody."
Radio 3 controller Roger Wright said: "We're delighted that our listeners have enjoyed hearing these great arias on Radio 3 Breakfast.
"It is pleasing to see the way in which they have engaged with this fun search for the favourite aria and continue to enjoy the BBC's celebration of opera."
The aria search is part of a BBC-wide opera season.
The top 10 is as follows (with opera and composer in brackets):
1. When I Am Laid In Earth (Dido And Aeneas, Purcell)
2. Dove Sono (Marriage of Figaro, Mozart)
3. Liebestod (Tristan And Isolde, Wagner)
4. E Lucevan Le Stelle (Tosca, Puccini)
5. Casta Diva (Norma, Bellini)
6. Song To The Moon (Rusalka, Dvorak)
7. Che Faro Senza Euridice? (Orfeo Ed Euridice, Gluck)
8. The Queen Of The Night's Second Aria Der Holle Rache (Magic Flute, Mozart)
9. Ruhe Sanft, Mein Holdes Leben (Zaide, Mozart)
10. Marietta's Lied Gluck Das Mir Verblieb (Die Tote Stadt, Korngold)
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Disney announces new female-led film Moana
Eight seconds of white noise is top of the Canadian iTunes chart because people love Taylor Swift that much
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world