Shoe mogul comes to the rescue of Italy's cultural treasures
Saturday 11 June 2011
La Scala opera house has become the latest Italian cultural landmark to benefit from the largesse of Diego Della Valle, of Tod's luxury leather goods.
His company this week pledged €5.2m (£4.6m) to help the Milan institution balance its books, at a time when Italy's arts and culture sector is wilting under government cuts. After announcing the donation, to be made over the next four years, Mr Della Valle called on others in the private sector to join the rescue of Italy's cultural treasures.
This year, Tod's pledged €25m to fund the restoration of Rome's crumbling Colosseum. The company has also signalled that it will make a large donation to the historic but rapidly decaying archaeological site at Pompeii.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Samuel Beckett's biographer reveals secrets of the writer's time as a French Resistance spy
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >