Album: Andrea Lucchesini, Schubert: The Impromptus (Avie)
Friday 13 August 2010
Andrea Lucchesini seems perfectly at home on these interpretations of Schubert's eight Impromptus – perhaps too at home, when plunging with gusto into the cascading arpeggios of the No 4 in A flat major, or indulging the ornamentation of the No 2 in E flat major.
But his treatment of the beautiful nocturne No 3 in G flat major is faultless, the poignant melody sailing weightlessly over the rippling left-hand notes; and his approach to the No 1 in F minor is sombre without being steeped in gloom. But it's the No 1 in C minor on which he really excels, opening like a stately march before slipping into wistful Romanticism and unrequited yearning as it shifts key and rhythm.
DOWNLOAD THIS No 1 in C minor; No 3 in G flat major
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >