Album: András Schiff Bach: Das Wohltemperierte Clavier (ECM New Series)
The Hungarian pianist András Schiff admits he now dislikes the sentimentality
of some of his earlier Bach recordings; and this one is certainly clear of such
But there's abundant energy nonetheless: it's not as exacting an interpretation as Roger Woodward's scholarly acknowledgement of historical changes in instrumental tempi, compared with which Schiff dashes through the C minor Prelude in almost indecent haste, as permitted by modern pianos without falling foul of the crowding reverberations of the harpsichord. The result is a supremely classical rendition of one of classical music's keynote works, blessed with an almost transparent clarity.
Download: Praeludien und Fugen 1-48
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 West poised to join forces with President Assad in face of Islamic State
- 3 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
Lucy, film review: Scarlett Johansson will blow your mind in Luc Besson's complex thriller
Emmys look set to overhaul the Oscars as Hollywood’s prize draw
Miley Cyrus concert banned on morality grounds in the Dominican Republic
The Hateful Eight trailer: Teaser for Quentin Tarantino film leaks early
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile