Album: Anna Vinnitskaya, Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor; Ravel: Piano Concerto in G major (Naïve)
Friday 28 January 2011
For her second recording, the Russian pianist Anna Vinnitskaya has chosen a programme of two (not too dissimilar) early 20th-century piano concertos, both reflecting the era's passionate desire for new modes of expression.
The opening whiplash of Ravel's "Piano Concerto in G major" portends the virtuosic fireworks to follow in the effervescent dialogue between vibrant piano and horns in the opening "Andantino-Allegretto", with the subsequent graceful placidity of the "Adagio Assai" bookended by the industrious "Presto". But the concerto's real achievement lies in the final two movements, whose fantastical twists grow more unsettling by the minute.
DOWNLOAD THIS Piano Concerto in G major; Piano Concerto No 2in G minor
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >