Album: Charivari Agréable, Concerti Curiosi (Signum Classics)
Friday 25 March 2011
Concerti Curiosi builds on the popularity of Charivari Agréable's recent recording of "Pachelbel's Vespers", the period ensemble here turning its attention to assembling a range of concerti by lesser-known composers of the Baroque era.
The highlight is Pietro Domenico Paradies' aptly-titled "A Favourite Concerto", a delightful harpsichord piece that affords the ensemble's director Kah-Ming Ng full rein to display his keyboard prowess. Soloist Jamie Savan is similarly dazzling on the two cornett concerti, by Pietro Baldassari and polymath Johan Daniel Berlin, of which the latter's "Sinfonia à 5" offers an intriguing blending of the cornett's neat, upright tone with the droney textures of strings and harpsichord.
DOWNLOAD THIS A Favourite Concerto; Sinfonia à 5; Concerto For Four Violins
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account