Album: David Trio, Tchaikovsky / Shostakovich (Stradivarius)
Sunday 14 August 2011
Piano trios by Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich are meticulously played by the David Trio, a chamber ensemble of growing repute, each member a distinguished player in his own right.
Both compositions recall a dead friend. Tchaikovsky dedicated his trio to the pianist Nikolai Rubenstein; Shostakovich honoured Ivan Sollertinski, artistic director of the Leningrad Philharmonic, whose championing of Jewish culture inspired the finale's klezmer-style danse macabre.
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
Andreas Lubitz: Knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 enabled mass murder