Album: Hayley Westerna, Ennio Morricone, Paradiso (Decca)
Friday 26 August 2011
The soprano Hayley Westenra is the supreme "crossover classical" artist, her album Pure being the fastest-selling classical debut of all time.
But while her coree classical repertoire is usually leavened with popular show-tunes, her tremulous voice is widely acknowled-ged as having the Right Stuff – not least by Ennio Morricone, who arranged and produced this anthology of his own compositions for her. Included are several of his most memorable movie themes, Westenra adding the yearning wordless vocal line over the celesta and woodwind of "Once Upon a Time in the West", providing her own lyric for "Gabriel's Oboe" and on "Amor" she offers her most dramatic performance.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Gabriel's Oboe; La Califfa; Amalia Por Amor
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Jay Z fights lawsuit over use of oh in 'Run This Town'
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'