Album: Ian Wilson, Man-o'-War etc (RTE Lyric FM)
Sunday 12 September 2010
RTE's handsomely played portrait-disc demonstrates Wilson's skills as dramatist and colourist.
Written in 1999 and inspired by Paul Klee's painting An Angel Serves a Small Breakfast is an intricate, elegaic concerto for violin (Rebecca Hirsch).
Man-o'-War (2001) is a vivid, explosive showpiece, bristling with rebarbative solos and menacing percussion. Lavinia Greenlaw's poems provide a bridge from Cy Twombly to Wilson's restless Winter Finding (2004/5), while Shomei Tomatsu was the inspiration for Licht/Ung (2004).
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage