Album: Ian Wilson, Man-o'-War etc (RTE Lyric FM)
RTE's handsomely played portrait-disc demonstrates Wilson's skills as dramatist and colourist.
Written in 1999 and inspired by Paul Klee's painting An Angel Serves a Small Breakfast is an intricate, elegaic concerto for violin (Rebecca Hirsch).
Man-o'-War (2001) is a vivid, explosive showpiece, bristling with rebarbative solos and menacing percussion. Lavinia Greenlaw's poems provide a bridge from Cy Twombly to Wilson's restless Winter Finding (2004/5), while Shomei Tomatsu was the inspiration for Licht/Ung (2004).
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 Amir Khan interview: 'One second could end my boxing career'
- 4 Groundhog day looms for Arsène Wenger as Arsenal battle for a place in the Champions League on final day
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.