Album: Ingrid Fliter, Chopin: Complete Waltzes (EMI Classical)
Friday 02 October 2009
The most recent winner of the quadrennial Gilmore Prize, Argentinian pianist Ingrid Fliter is fast establishing herself as the pre-eminent contemporary performer of Chopin, following her EMI debut of selected Chopin Piano Works with this album focusing purely on his waltzes.
Restrained and elegant without sacrificing the momentum required to keep the pieces flowing, there's more than a touch of Arthur Rubinstein in her performance, as befits one who grew up listening to his masterly 1963 recordings; but unlike him, she broadens the canon to include a further six waltzes of disputed attribution. But while there's no disputing her grasp of the repertoire, it's difficult to bring anything fresh to such familiar material.
Download this: Waltz No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 18, Waltz No. 6 in D flat major, Op. 64
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services