Album: Janine Jansen, Schubert String Quartet/ Schoenberg Verklärte Nacht (Decca)
Saturday 20 April 2013
All-star line-ups can be problematic in chamber music, but the depth of drama and colour in the stinging, swooning timbres identified by the Dutch violinist Janine Jansen and her friends, violinist Boris Brovtsyn, viola players Maxim Rysanov and Amihal Grosz, and cellists Torleif Thedéen and Jens Peter Maintz, makes this Verklärte Nacht impressive.
The pairing with Schubert is convincing, both works underpinned by Thedéen and Maintz's wonderfully close blend.
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP