Album: John Eliot Gardiner Bach Cantatas Vol. 11 (Soli Deo Gloria)
Friday 04 June 2010
SDG's series deriving from John Gardiner's epic 2000 pilgrimage around European churches performing Bach cantatas with the Monteverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists reaches Genoa and Greenwich on this latest CD set.
Thankfully, the Genoan concert took place despite Pope John Paul II's recent killjoy bull banning all church concerts, which would have denied us the delights of the wedding-themed "Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele", with its opening section featuring ingeniously interwoven oboes and recorders. Back in Greenwich, the occasion facilitated four pieces on which the soloists – particularly the alto William Towers – were outstanding.
DOWNLOAD THIS Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele; Ich glaube, lieber Herr
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >