Album: Katia et Marielle Labèque, Erik Satie (KML)
The Labèque sisters here offer a blend of Satie's work for both two and four hands, with the solo pieces divvied up according to compatability.
Marielle's firmer, more dramatic touch is well suited to the cluster of 20 miniatures which comprise the Sports et Divertissements, where impact has to be delivered in short bursts of sometimes less than 20 seconds, while the Trois Gnossiennes, Satie's most mysterious melodies, are realised with limpid delicacy by Katia, who also contributes the rarely-performed 4th, 5th and 6th Gnossiennes. Together, the sisters are best matched on the curious Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire, where Marielle's sparse, harder chords spike Katia's more reflective figures.
Download this Trois Gnossiennes, Sports Et Divertissements, Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Heading for the States? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Amir Khan interview: 'One second could end my boxing career'
- 3 Boxing: Purdy set to join long list of British fighters who take the money – and then the beating
- 4 Dan Stevens after Downton Abbey: The erstwhile Matthew Crawley is back in period costume
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.