Album: Lang Lang,Liszt, My Piano Hero (Sony Classical)
The pianist eagerly marks Franz Liszt's bicentennial with this collection of his personal favourites, in which the limpid, emollient "Romance 'Ô Pourquoi Donc'" and sensitively Chopin-esque "Consolation No 3" sit somewhat uneasily alongside the grand emotional gestures of "Liebestraum No 3" and mannered exercises like "Grand Galop chromatique", which Lang performs in true show-pony style, with equine arrogance.
His talents are most generously indulged, however, in the Paganini study "La Campanella", a showcase of effusive flurries, sudden shifts of mood and rippling trills sweeping the entire length of the keyboard, all delivered with a restrained but dashing brio.
DOWNLOAD THIS: La Campanella; Consolation No3; Romance 'Ô Pourquoi Donc'
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.