Album: London Philharmonic, Orchestra (Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant)
This official soundtrack to the recent festivities has an unashamedly populist slant, David Parry and the LPO presenting what are effectively a succession of musical figureheads commensurate with the celebration of a national figurehead.
There's Coates's elegant "Knightsbridge March" and Holst's stirring "Jupiter". The more rustic sides of the national character are indulged in Arnold's jaunty "Padstow Lifeboat" and Grainger's "Country Garden". But it's in the most populist contributions of all – the "Dambusters March", Monty Norman's "James Bond Theme", and the Chariots Of Fire theme – that we become more keenly aware of our preferred mirror of our national character.
Download: Knightsbridge March; Jupiter; Dambusters March
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
- 1 ‘Leeds is on fire’: Huge chemical-fuelled blaze on Armley industrial estate leads to hazardous smoke warning for city
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers