Album: Martinu, Violin Concerto No 2/ Serenada/Toccata – Faust/Belohlavek et al(Harmonia Mundi)
Sunday 18 May 2008
Martinu's spicy orchestration and melodic voice are vividly realised in this engaged performance of the Second Violin Concerto from Isabelle Faust, Jiri Belohlavek and the Prague Philharmonia. Imagine Dvorak rewritten by Gershwin and Poulenc, and you'll have an idea of the balance of sentimental tradition and sharp-suited modernity.
Faust's dark, leggy sound and calm negotiation of the third movement cadenza confirm her reputation as a great stylist. The quivering motifs of the "Toccata e due canzoni" highlight the peppery sound of the Prague Philharmonia's woodwind in dialogue with the strings and pianist Cédric Tiberghien.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain