Album: Mozart, Piano Concertos No 12 and No 24 – Pollini/Vienna Philharmonic (Deutsche Grammophon)
Sunday 25 May 2008
Maurizio Pollini's Mozart Concerto series with the Vienna Philharmonic continues with a flawless and buoyant performance of the A major and C minor concertos.
Directed from the keyboard by Pollini, and recorded live, this sometimes lazy orchestra plays with renewed vivacity and engagement, a robust, focused sound and immaculately shaped phrases from the woodwind soloists. Pollini's dexterity and sensitivity are, as ever, astounding, the dialogue between the piano and orchestra never less than incisive, and the two slow movements exquisitely poised between rapture and regret.
Pick of the Album: The turbulent Allegro of the C minor Concerto
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia