Album: Nicola Benedetti, Fantasie (Decca)
Friday 11 September 2009
The closest Nicola Benedetti comes here to the kind of flamboyant expressivity of Zehetmair is on Ravel's "Tzigane", with its gypsy enthusiasm and pizzicato passages, and in her rhapsodic enunciation of Sarasate's "Zigeunerweisen".
But while she negotiates the high-speed conclusion of Saint-Saens' "Rondo Capriccioso" with vitality, I prefer her work on the slower pieces, tackling "The Lark Ascending" with due grace and becoming effulgently romantic on the "Meditation" from Massenet's Thaïs. Most moving of all is her intimate version of Arvo Pärt's "Spiegel im Spiegel", where you can all but hear her violin breathing as its strings are gently caressed.
Download this: Spiegel im Spiegel, The Lark Ascending, Rondo Capriccioso, Meditation from Thaïs
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >