Album: Pascal Roge, Poètes du Piano (Onyx)
Friday 18 June 2010
Poètes du Piano is the perfect description for this beautifully sequenced selection of Romantic piano pieces, a series of exquisite miniatures by the likes of Chopin, Ravel, Fauré and Poulenc, in which delicacy and brevity are prized over the more prosaic charms of full-scale works.
It's also a welcome relief, during the current bicentennial inundation of Chopin recordings, to hear just a few of his Préludes, Ballades, Nocturnes and Études interspersed with those of his successors, enabling the listener to trace the threads between, say, Chopin's "Nocturne No. 13 in C minor" and Fauré's "Nocturne No. 1 in E flat minor".
DOWNLOAD THIS Nocturne No. 1 in E flat minor; Étude pour les arpèges composées; Étude in A flat; Prélude (Book II) Canope
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >