Album: Piers Hellawell, Airs, Waters (Delphian)
The impressive range of Piers Hellawell's work is displayed on this collection of six compositions, five of which are premiere recordings.
The orchestral piece "Degrees of Separation" is a fascinating study of initial momentum dissolving into musical entropy, while the piano solo "Basho" is named not for the poet but the sumo contest, reflected in its 15 brief tussles between major and minor. Another piano piece, "Airs, Waters and Floating Islands", shifts between bluesy runs and more reflective passages; blues echoes are also discernible in "Agricolas", featuring clarinet and orchestra in a succession of whirligig encounters whose inquisitive, expectant figures are stained with urban mystery: a large-scale palette applied with the most delicate of brushwork.
Download: Agricolas; Basho; Degrees of Separation
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- < Previous
- Next >