Album review: La Risonanza, Vivaldi: La Senna Festeggiante (Glossa)
"La Senna Festeggiante" is a serenata, a secular cantata usually performed al fresco in the evening, and written for a specific occasion – in this case, a 1726 tripartite tribute to the French Ambassador, the French king Louis XV, and arts patron Cardinal Ottoboni.
Unlike opera, there is little or no action, simply a three-way civilised conversation between Virtue, The Golden Age, and The Seine, sung by countertenor, soprano and bass respectively. There's an unmistakable courtly grace and light humour about the opening "Sinfonia", ably dispatched by La Risonanza's prancing strings and harpsichord, but while Vivaldi's skill shows in his incorporation of various French elements, the libretto leaves much to be desired.
Download: Sinfonia; Di Queste Selve Venite O Numi; Ouverture
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >