Album review: The Marian Consort, An Emerald in a Work of Gold (Delphian)
Accompanied by the Rose Consort of Viols, the Marian Consort here offer a selection of pieces from the Dow Partbooks, the arrangements for up to five voices or instruments collected by the 16th-century scholar Robert Dow, of compositions by such as Thomas Tallis and William Byrd.
The latter's setting of "O Lord, How Vain", Sir Philip Sidney's verses disdaining worldly pleasure, are delivered with duly unornamented clarity by solo soprano and four viols, while William Mundy's "Sive Vigilem" and Nathaniel Giles's "Vestigia Mea Dirige" tiptoe between unison homophony and euphoric polyphony. But the most ambitious works here are the settings by Robert White and Robert Parsons of lines from Psalm 119, respectively "Justus es, Domine" and "Retribue Servo Tuo".
Download: Justus Es, Domine; Retribue Servo Tuo; Sive Vigilem
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Hercules, review: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson takes centre stage in preposterous film
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia