Album: Santiago Quartet Ahmed Dickinson, CÁrdenas
Friday 14 October 2011
Formed in 2008 to champion Latin music in Britain, the Santiago String Quartet are joined by the dextrous Cuban guitarist Ahmed Dickinson Cárdenas on works by three composers, the best-known being the Mexican Javier Álvarez. The Cuban Leo Brouwer wrote his "Quintet for Guitar & String Quartet" when he was just 18, heavily influenced by Bartok and Stravinsky's explorations of folk idioms, reflected in the use of Afro-Cuban elements in his dramatic work. The programme is completed by the Uruguayan Miguel Del Aguila, whose "Presto II" is an infectious, humorous Latin dance of jazzy inclination.
DOWNLOAD THIS Presto II; Metro Chabacano; Quintet for Guitar & String Quartet
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 2 Pictures show young Palestinian girl biting Israeli soldier trying to detain boy during West Bank protests
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet: Technician quits after social media row with actor's fans
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'