Album: Schumann, Piano Trios – Gringolts / Laul / Kouzov (Onyx)
Sunday 24 April 2011
Ilya Gringolts continues his survey of Schumann's chamber music, following a poised account of the Violin Sonatas with a taut reading of the Piano Trios.
Cellist Dmitry Kouzov joins Gringolts and his pianist Peter Laul, his slightly acidic tone an interesting foil to Gringolts' honeyed sound. The balance is unusually even-handed, leading to sensory overload in the dense melodic effusion of the third Trio. Though some tempi are cautious, this is stylish and thoughtful musicianship.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture