Album: The London Steve Reich Ensemble, Reich: Different Trains; Triple Quartet; Piano Counterpoint (EMI Classics)
Friday 02 September 2011
This programme of Steve Reich pieces has a satisfying unity due to the driving train rhythms that underpin all three compositions.
Triple Quartet opens with the Bernard Herrmann's urgent Psycho soundtrack, the sawing strings overlapping nervously, before growing more bewildered and distracted in the melancholy second movement. It's a fine companion to Different Trains, with the same sense of fraught journeys and uncertain destinations, but the frantic detail of Piano Counterpoint impresses most, its series of motifs emerging, rising to prominence and being subsumed again within the fluttering waves of six interlaced pianos.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Piano Counterpoint; Different Trains
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- < Previous
- Next >