Album: Thomas Zehetmair, Northern Sinfonia, Franz Schubert, Hans Gál: Kindred Spirits (Avie)
Friday 15 April 2011
Notwithstanding Hans Gál's lengthy residence in Britain – initially in flight from Nazi persecution, later by choice – Thomas Zehetmair here regards him as the epigone of the grand Viennese classical tradition that was effectively snuffed out by the Second World War.
It's hard, however, to initially discern any direct relation between Schubert's Sixth, the Little C major Symphony, and Gál's First Symphony from 1927, presented here in its world premiere recording. Compared to the melodic grace and light, ebullient charm of Schubert's work, Gál's seems a darker piece, perhaps reflective of his struggle to develop his own modernist approach outside serialism but as it progresses, it acquires a certain exuberant appeal.
DOWNLOAD THIS Symphony No 6 in C; Symphony No 1 in D
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 West poised to join forces with President Assad in face of Islamic State
- 3 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 4 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
Lucy, film review: Scarlett Johansson will blow your mind in Luc Besson's complex thriller
Emmys look set to overhaul the Oscars as Hollywood’s prize draw
Miley Cyrus concert banned on morality grounds in the Dominican Republic
The Hateful Eight trailer: Teaser for Quentin Tarantino film leaks early
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile