Album: Various Artists, Lumières: Music Of The Enlightenment (Harmonia Mundi)
It might seem a fool's errand to attempt to encapsulate the musical developments of the 18th century in a single package, given the era's heavyweight talents include Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn.
But Harmonia Mundi have somehow contrived to telescope that most industriously inventive of musical centuries into this 30CD set, by dint of ingenious thematic programming which apportions discs to different modes - such as String quartets, Piano sonatas, Symphonies, or Opera. The latter occupies the biggest portion of the project, coverage spread across eight CDs, including complete performances of Castor Et Pollux, Orfeo Ed Eurydice, and Le Nozze Di Figaro - the latter two staged by Rene Jacobs. Likewise, three CDs of Symphonies include three complete Haydns and two Mozarts, leading up to a climactic Herreweghe version of Beethoven's 9th. At around £50 for 30 CDs, it's an indisputable bargain box.
Download This: Le Nozze Di Figaro; Symphony No. 9; Orfeo Ed Eurydice; Le Quattro Stagioni
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy