Album: Various Artists, Royal Handel (Naïve)
The coronation of George II in October 1727 was marked by the first acclaiming "Alleluia!" of Handel's Zadok the Priest, and effectively established the German immigrant George Frideric Handel as the undisputed British court composer, a relationship tracked here in suitably majestic renditions of classic pieces by first-rate performers from across Europe: Zadok sung by the Thomas Tallis Chamber Choir, the Messiah by Accentus with the Concerto Köln, Lucy Crowe singing "A Song for St Cecilia's Day", and a suite from the Water Music by Les Musiciens du Louvre. With contributions elsewhere from Sandrine Piau, Rinaldo Alessandrini and Bernarda Fink, among others, it's a beautifully performed set.
Download: Zadok the Priest; Hallelujah; Bourrée; Great Sarabande
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >