Album: Vivaldi/Richter, The Four Seasons - Hope/DeRidder/KKB (Deutsche Grammophon)
Sunday 04 November 2012
Vivaldi was a prolific borrower. So let's not be huffy about Max Richter's "recomposition" of The Four Seasons.
Let's call it karma. A founder-member of Piano Circus, Richter slips softly back and forth between writing art music and film scores. Here, Vivaldi's harmonies are slowed to one or two chords per movement and melodic fragments are frozen and filleted. It brought me out in hives, but if you liked Pieces in a Modern Style, you will probably adore it.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures