Album:Sergei Rachmaninoff, Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff (RCA Red Seal)
Friday 30 October 2009
"A superb new recording of Rachmaninoff playing his own works...," claims the cover.
Not bad going for a pianist dead now for six decades, you might think, and you'd be right. It's the latest "Re-Performance®" from the folks at Zenph® using computer analysis of Rachmaninoff's touch, timing and pedalling characteristics from earlier recordings, replayed back on a period Steinway fitted with some form of Disklavier playback hardware. It's extraordinary to hear the Étude-tableaux and Prelude in C-sharp minor without the timbral restrictions of primitive equipment.
Download this Prelude in C-sharp minor; Étude-tableau in C major; The Flight Of The Bumblebee
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'
Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
Lucy, film review: Scarlett Johansson will blow your mind in Luc Besson's complex thriller
Emmys look set to overhaul the Oscars as Hollywood’s prize draw
Miley Cyrus concert banned on morality grounds in the Dominican Republic
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile