Review: Prom 71, Royal Albert Hall, London
Sunday 08 September 2013
What is it? Osmo Vänska conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra in Górecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, Anthony Payne's orchestration of Vaughan Williams's Four Last Songs and Tchaikovsky's Sixth, the Pathétique.
The Independent says: "Vänska conducts the Górecki as a majestic ritual ... aided by superb performances from the BBCSO and soprano Ruby Hughes, who gave its three laments a searing immediacy ... Payne's 'new' work now forms a bewitching coda to the great English composer's oeuvre."
They say: The Guardian: " ... a rapt occasion. Górecki's solemn spell was only violated by the insistence of [some] on applauding ... Vänska deserves a medal for plunging straight into Tchaikovsky's extraordinary finale and thereby preventing intrusive clapping." Evening Standard: "The simplest of musical ideas, at first barely audible, emerges from double basses and spreads glacially to the strings. Ruby Hughes resisted the temptation to over-emote, shaping Górecki's doleful lines with radiant elegance."
You say: @classicalsource: "Vänskä's lucid conducting released a glowing, refined sound from the BBCSO."
Details: listen at bbc.co.uk/proms (until Tuesday).
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter