Xuefei Yang, Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez (EMI Classics)
Friday 05 November 2010
Virtually blind by then, Joaquin Rodrigo could not believe that the Chinese girl who had just made her Madrid debut with his "Invocacion y danza" was aged just 14 at the time. And no wonder: now fully grown, Xuefei Yang's touch throughout this programme of Spanish pieces is stunning, with nimble fingering of trills and runs, and subtly emotional phrasing in the slower passages.
The balance between guitar and orchestra is perfectly measured on Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez", while Albeniz's "Espana" suite offers Yang space to display her full solo talents, using a guitar with a more mellifluous, rounded Spanish tone. Completing the programme is Stephen Goss's specially commissioned "Albeniz Concerto".
DOWNLOAD THIS Concierto de Aranjuez; Espana; Albeniz Concerto
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >