CLUB OF THE WEEK; DENIM @ denim
Saturday 25 September 1999
The bar offers plenty of social intercourse, while the upstairs restaurant boasts a highbrow menu.
The real action takes place in the basement, where the volume is cranked up and the dancefloor grooves to R'n'B, funk and soul. There is also seating available downstairs, but this is mainly used as a pit stop between dancefloor and bar.
The punters here vary, from stylish socialites to urban clubbers; it's a truly cosmopolitan ensemble that doesn't take itself too seriously but knows how to kick back and relax.
The dress code is as varied as the clientele, but if you're not willing to scrub up, get on first name terms with the promoters.
4a Upper St Martin's Lane, London WC2 (0171-497 0376) Fri and Sat, 9pm, free
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes